New Kid (yeah right!!!!) on the Blog

New Kid (yeah right!!!!) on the Blog

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Back home from Cabin

Got to the cabin around 6:00..... unloaded supplies and started fire in woodstove. It was pretty cold, so, while waiting for the cabin to warm up, I let the mutts roam and I sat in the nice warm truck and listened to my book on tape.
After about 20 minutes, I checked and the stove wasn't heating up like expected... figured out that it was the hardwood was not catching fire like I needed. So, I headed up to the Crazyman's Lodge and got some more kindling from their pile and some good well seasoned softer wood from my surplus woodpile at the fire pit.
My next attempt at starting the stove worked great, and was able to get it warm in no time flat. Once I got a good bank of hot coals, the hardwood worked great.
I ended up crashng around 10:00. Then around 1:30 A.M. I was awakened because it was so hot I was sweating! Let the mutts out for a run, put on another log and adjusted the airflow down for a slower burn. Finally dropped off to sleep again around 2:30.
Woke up at 9:30...fire was out, but, it was still nice and warm, so, after letting the mutts run a little, I went back to bed till 11:00.
Guess I was pretty tired. I just fixed coffee and donuts for breakfast. Packed up stuff and headed back home with the mutts.
Kim is still in Louisville with Marisa, and won't be in till late tonight, so, I guess I'll just put the mutts in the bombshelter in the basement and head out to Cincinnati for the "Magic Banquet".

4 comments:

  1. Man, Dave..you shore do know how ta live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, a vacation can really be tiring, can't it? I was pooped just hearing about all the stove work! Still, cabins are soooo nice. But I guess you didn't have the time I imagined in my little head. When you last posted, I thought for sure you'd be leaning back in that chair, watching the gentle flames, and sipping on a sweet bourbon. Opps, pipe dream hahaha XXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wood-fired stove in a cabin in the woods sounds like a dream, Dave; you've just helped me add another item to my bucket list.

    Spring's getting closer every day--enjoy those warm-cabin days while they're still there.

    Lucky man, you are...

    ReplyDelete