New Kid (yeah right!!!!) on the Blog

New Kid (yeah right!!!!) on the Blog

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Meet The Fockers

Ever seen the movie? Our Thanksgiving Day was shaping up to resemble the plot from it.
Background info: Daughter Marisa has been dating Justin for now just over a year. Politically, we are pretty much to the RIGHT, and Justin and his folks lean way to the LEFT. Though they have been dating for over a year, we had never "met his family". We did get introduced to his Mom back in June when she attended Marisa's Dance Recital, but, being so crowded, we didn't really get to know her.
Well, the kids thought that Thanksgiving would be a good time for us to finally meet. Marisa was very concerned that it could turn into a disaster due to our "differences". She dropped several hints to her Mom that she was hoping I could "behave myself" and not create a stir!
Wednesday night, she and Justin went to a local pub to reconnect with old friends in town for the holiday and at 1:00 A.M., texted Momma that "the kids needed a ride home". Kim and I went down and picked them up. I drove them in her truck to Justin's house and Kim picked me up there. On the way, I asked Marisa if she was afraid that I'd "misbehave" T'giving at Justin's parents house. She said that she hoped that we would not discuss any politics.
I told her that I would avoid it like the plague....but, if they started it, then I'd just change the subject like a Jehovah's Witness and preach to them the merits of accepting Jesus Christ as their personal Savior!
We got home around 2:00A.M. and I crashed (after working 12 hours straight on Wednesday. I slept in till 1:45 P.M Thurs afternoon, so I didn't have much time to "worry about the upcoming meeting".
We arrived at their house at 4:00 P.M. and were warmly welcomed and sat around chatting about life in generaland common aquaintences.
After about 10 minutes, I was fully at ease, and started being myself....cracking jokes... telling funny stories about Marisa's childhood, etc.
The dinner and fellowship was terrific! They are really nice people, and we look forward to spending more time with them!
Hell, I even performed a little "after dinner magic" for them!

10 comments:

  1. Whew, I was holding my breath there, lol. Dave, I salute you -- you were good to the core :D
    and I know Marisa was really relieved hahahaha. Now tell me that your after dinner magic didn't include making the urn disappear off the mantle. And please tell me they didn't have a cat that flushed. LOL, I LOVED that movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naw....I kept the magic kind of simple. I started off with my rubberband routine (where two bands visibly penetrate thru each other, etc. Then a paper napkin center is visibly burned, then restored untouched/ Salt is poured into the hand...dissapears....then reappears/ Then about 5 quick card tricks.
    I believe in making my effects simple, funny as possible, and not milking them out too long.
    Guess I need to make a small video for presentation here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that would be a GREAT idea. Do it!
    By the way, I think most everyone has been hibernating at their dinner tables and even before. I have lots of folks that haven't even dropped by and some that have (including you). That's the way it is when there are a bunch of women herded to the kitchen to make all the goodies. The only reason I've been around is because it's only me and the 2 furballs at my house, lol. Hey, Dave, at least we've had each other to leave messages, right? Crazy world, huh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You ol' softy, Dave...I had a feeling that get-together would go well.

    In my family, I tend to be the hotheaded one, but in recent weeks have decided that spouting off to people about politics helps no one. Family time should be spent basking in that warm glow which happens whenever dear souls gather together.

    You know, I wish I knew some simple magic; my grandkids would love it. The rubber band trick would be a good starter, then making the family cat disappear...

    8 )

    *waves "hi" to Jenny!*

    ReplyDelete
  5. What, Marge??? Whattttt??? Make the cat disappear??? Lol, I am not speaking to you hahahahaha. Don't think a simple wave from you will help ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. To Jenny: what was I thinking??? I must've been mad...

    ...better to make the family goat disappear!

    *snickering*

    8 )

    ReplyDelete
  7. NOT THE GOAT!!!! (Old joke: "Ghosts?... Beg your pardon, I thought you said Goats!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Toodie enters the conversation......

    Oh jist make the dishes disappear Dave. Every woman will love you for that. Now make ah plate of chocolate appear and you'll have everyone eating out of your hand. Ok beers for the 'guys' I spose I dunno.
    I was hoping to hear a real Focker thing goin on like fingers pointing to eyes - I'm watch'in you! Or the urn falling off the mantel...oh man!!
    I am glad the dinner went well and everyone behaved. I am sure his parents were told to behave too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I swear, all we needed was a big bowl of peanuts, some beer, a few big 'ol comfortable chairs out on the porch, and by golly, it's a party!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Include a box of chianti, chips and dip and I'm there, Jenny!!!

    Somebody remember to bring Nachos!!!

    And I meant every word about the goat, Dave.

    ReplyDelete