New Kid (yeah right!!!!) on the Blog

New Kid (yeah right!!!!) on the Blog

Wednesday, August 7, 2013




Greetings to all,
  It's been awhile since I've been on here.  Hope I can write something that will be of interest to some of you folks out there.
  Back in June, I broke down and bought a "Gator" to ride around the woods and hard to get to places on the farm.  Each year at the KY State Fair, they get new Gators to use for the Fair, then they are sent to the John Deere Dealers to sell.  I went over to Shelbyville, to check on the 2012 models used last year.  Most had about 250-500 hours used on them.  However, I found one with only 48 hours , so I bought that sucker!
Being the cheapskate that I am, it pained me to write that check for $5600.  But, what the hell....I wanted it, so why not?
  For Christmas last year, Kim bought me a little camper stove/oven that works with the little propane bottles.  Since I got it, I now do all my cooking inside.  I still have the stove out on the porch to use if I need the use of a full size oven. 
  The pictures included with this post shows the oven and also some of my fried chicken and fried shrimp.  And yep,......I do use lard!

  I hated to do it, but, I had to get rid of Cooper, my male 5 year old dog.  He was the one that was the escape artist, and got to being almost vicious around any dogs other than his sister , Carly.
  Well, he finally tore into her and left some bite marks on her face.
  I hated like hell to do it, and cried like a baby after I did it, but, I had to turn him into the Humane Society to hopefully find him a new home.  That was back in December, and it still bothers me that I had to do that.  But, I just could no longer take a chance with him getting loose again and attacking a neighbors dog or maybe even attacking someone trying to break up a dog fight.
  We went up to Cincinnati back in June for my sister-in-law's 50th Birthday Party.  (For Lisa, Kim's sister.)
Mother-in-law tried to be friendly and act as though nothing was wrong.  However, it was very evident from the way "most of the family" acted pretty distant toward Kim and I.... that the old bat had told them all how badly we treat them. 
  I tried to be friendly when I first got there, but, had only sat down for about 2 minutes when SHE (Mother-in-law) started off on one of her long winded, blow by blow stories that is about only 1/2 true.  I caught her in two lies in the first 30 seconds.  I couldn't stand it, so had to make an emergency restroom visit.....and totally forgot to return for the finishing of her story. Was able to stay clear of her, but most of the family were very distant to both Kim and I.  Marisa and Justin were lucky that they had to work and couldn't make the trip.
  We ended up "visiting" for about 4 hours..... and decided on our escape back to God's Country that that would probably be our last visit to see her extended family (cousins).

  I am hoping to get started again on writing stories again for publication in the Kentucky Explorer Magazine. I have about three that just need editing.  Maybe I'll do that this weekend.  I finally got "Word " put back on Marisa's old laptop, so I can use it down at the cabin to rewrite some of the stories.
  Problem with writing at the cabin is....when I get down there, I just get lazy as hell, and want to only lounge around and read my Kindle, watch NetFlix movies or take a NAP.

3 comments:

  1. Well Hello! Nice to see you again. It's so sad when family members behave that way. They deprive themselves of some very nice friendships.

    Boy does that chicken look good. Not into seafood of any kind but I'm sure hubby would like it.

    Congratualations on the new 'Gator'. Sometimes you just have to buy what you want.

    I understand the lazy feeling in the peace and quiet of the cabin in the woods. The nice thing is you be lazy and productive at your will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pleasure to see you again after all of this time. That chicken looks like what I was raised on and yes, Daddy used lard too. Heck, thst's what makes chicken good! That chicken and shrimp of yours looked EXCELLENT!!!

    I HAD husband family members like that. Never saw 'em again. Never.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave!! Oh boy, what a treat! Well, you know I mean the post, but have to say that darn chicken and shrimp looks SO good that I was ready to plow straight through the monitor, and I'm not kidding. Yummmmm-O! Listen, if I had that cabin and all the fixin's you've got, pfft, you wouldn't get a lick of work out of me, either. That cabin is God's Country all the way. The Gator is nice, too! I don't have use for a tractor but I'm looking at a Honda CR-Z or a Fiat 500 at the moment. I loveeeee little cars :)

    For you and Kim regarding the 'visit': Gawd, what a mess it is. Doesn't look like it's going to change after all this time but my hat's off to you for going to the restroom instead of calling 'her' on her lies. I think I would have bitten off my tongue by then. Yessirr, you're a better man than I am.....well, you know what I mean.

    And your dog: I am really, really sorry. You did the right thing and I know you know that for just the reasons you gave, but still......it is the hardest thing in the world to do. Only once did I have to do the same thing for the same reason and that was over 40 yrs ago and I still wonder to this day if that dog ended up ok or not. Guilt is what it is. Something must have gone haywire in the dog's thinking to become like that, especially when you say he attacked his own sister. Poor girl! It would only have been a matter of time (short time) before it would be a person or a child or even you. So sad, and I'm so sorry anyway.

    As usual I'm talking your ear off. You'd think you and Kim were next door, but if you were, you would have booted me out by now ;)

    Will ck back with you again, you betcha!

    ReplyDelete