New Kid (yeah right!!!!) on the Blog

New Kid (yeah right!!!!) on the Blog

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Getting a little "nippy" here in the SOUTH.






I made my "escape to the cabin" early Friday night, and found the air starting to get a little nippy around sundown. So, after unloading the truck, fixing a gourmet supper of Vienna Sausages on crackers, and a can of Campbell's Veg-Beef soup,(washed down with bourbon and coke)... I made a small fire in the woodstove. It got nice and toasty quickly....thanks to all of the insulation. That night, I entertained myself with two Netflix movies, and crashed out around midnight. The mutts seemed to enjoy the warmth of the bed as they kept trying to crowd me out of it all night.
Woke up around 7:30, and though it was comforable inside, it was 39 degrees out on the porch.
I grabbed the camera and drove around the farm to snap a few pictures. There was a little fog on the pond which I just couldn't quite capture like I wanted. I did find some Goldenrod (Kentucky's State Flower) which is dreaded by many due to it's pollen, and a couple of other shots.
It has been awhile since I got in the mood to do some decent cooking, so, I planned a little ahead and decided that I'd fry up some chicken legs and some pork chops to eat on for next week.
So, for a "late brunch" I enjoyed two chicken legs and one pork chop. Though they were good, they just weren't as good as Mom and Dad used to make. I used Crisco....they used to use lard. Think I'll try that the next time.
Got to do a little reading, had two visitors, and got in about an hour nap before heading back home Saturday evening.

4 comments:

  1. I'll tell you what! That chicken looks so good my mouth about watered and I just finished swallerin' breakfast!

    Yummy and you're right-lard IS a magic ingredient even tho folks have been made to fear it like poison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nippy here too last night. Beautiful pics but that chicken!! Couple trees changed colors over night. Now lard I do not have, but my ma fried the best chicken init too. I am actually making chicken for supper and hubby wants the graham cracker coating. Have a great time and a nice week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to echo Carole and Toodies words. The food looks great! Great photos as well! What time is supper?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dammitall, Dave...here it is, past 1 in the morning, and I'm sitting here looking at the photos you posted--at two skillets full of gorgeous fried chicken legs! Breakfast here is hours away, and I'm not given to snacking anymore. You realize now I'm going to have to bake some chicken for supper later tonight, right? (We're off fried foods at my house.)

    *sighs mightily*

    It happens to be a fantastic idea, though; just wish I didn't have to wait so long, is all...

    I have to tell you, although I love my Steve dearly, I would give just about anything to have my own digs out in the middle of nowhere to which I could escape and just enjoy the solitude and seclusion away from the city, then return home when the "lonelies" get to be a bit too much...

    You're a lucky man to have such a retreat, but you're also a lucky man to have a good family to return to after your time away.

    Make sure you give them a big hug when you get back!

    ReplyDelete